Muddy Stilettos first tottered into the world in the summer of 2011 as a bit of fun for the founder, Hero Brown, over in Bucks & Oxon.
Quickly Muddy Stilettos caught on locally to become the ultimate ‘urban guide to the countryside’ – a witty, super-useful insider’s guide to the very best food, walks, boutiques, day trips, hotels, interiors and events for smart, fun-loving women living outside London.
In Nov 2012 the site turned into a business and soon Muddy Stilettos became so successful that it launched around the UK – including Kent in Feb 2016. Another year on and my Kent site won Best Blog in the Kent Digital Awards 2017 (yes, that’s the sound of me blowing my own trumpet) and by 2019 Muddy itself had expanded to 24 counties, and counting…
As for my credentials… Well, I’ve been a lifestyle journo for eighteen years working on national glossy magazines. I grew up in Kent and, after some years in London, I’ve done what all good chicks do and come home to roost.
I’m delighted to be back in my old stomping ground and can’t wait to discover more of its best bits with the help of you – my awesome Muddy readers! Here you’ll find an indispensable guide to everything this exceptional county has to offer. If there’s a cool café in Cranbrook or a stylish new boutique in Sevenoaks you’ll read about it here…
This is the Muddy Mantra, so you know what to expect from the site:
- I try everything out myself so that you can fully trust my opinions. On the occasions that I haven’t been somewhere myself (for example, an event that hasn’t happened yet – um, I’m not a miracle worker) I let you know about it. Occasionally guest editors will review and these will be clearly marked as such.
- Muddy Stilettos is a commercial site and accepts advertising and payment to feature products and brands. However, we believe passionately in only working with brands that share our ethos and are relevant to our readers. We retain editorial control and independence at all times.
- I will never accept payment to write about something I don’t believe in.
- I accept tickets to free shows, festivals, restaurants, events etc with the purpose of reviewing or publicising them on Muddy Stilettos, as I’m sure you appreciate it’s pretty expensive zipping around trying stuff out all the time. Hotels, restaurants, cafes, bars – if you want me to try you out, please get in touch at email@example.com or via Twitter @muddy_kent.
- I’ll never write a nasty review. I’m not into trashing people, brands or companies. But if you’re not good enough, I won’t write about you in Muddy Stilettos, regardless of whether I have paid for the experience or not. This gives me the editorial control I need and the trust that my readers demand.
I hope you love the site. Please tell your friends about it, and sign up for my splendiferous free posts delivered to your inbox!