Muddy Stilettos first tottered into the world (Oxon/Bucks to be precise) in Summer 2011. Launched by national journalist Hero Brown, the idea was a simple one: to bring you the lowdown on the very best restaurants, boutiques, interiors, day trips and events in the local area. No advertorial. No PR guff. Just upbeat honesty. Everything checked out personally, with the focus on the exceptional, the interesting and the quirky.
In Nov 2012 the blog turned into a business, and four years later, Muddy Stilettos became so successful that it launched in 9 further counties – including Kent in Feb 2016. Another year on and there are 7 more counties, bringing the total to 17.
As for my credentials, which is the reason why I guess you’re on this page … I’ve been a lifestyle journo for fifteen years working on national glossy magazines. I grew up in Kent and, after some years in London, I’ve done what all good chicks do and come home to roost.
I’m delighted to be back in my old stomping ground and can’t wait to discover more of its best bits with the help of you – my awesome Muddy readers! Here you’ll find an indispensable guide to everything this exceptional county has to offer. If there’s a cool café in Cranbrook or a stylish new boutique in Sevenoaks you’ll read about it here… And if you think there’s something that I should know about do tell me – I’d love to hear from you!
This is the Muddy Mantra, so you know what to expect from the blog:
- I try everything out myself so that you can fully trust my opinions. On the occasions that I haven’t been somewhere myself (for example, an event that hasn’t happened yet – um, I’m not a miracle worker) I let you know about it. Occasionally guest editors will review and these will be clearly marked as such.
- Muddy Stilettos is a commercial blog and as such accepts advertising. However, we believe passionately in only working with brands that share our ethos and are relevant to our readers. We retain editorial control and independence at all times.
- I will never accept payment to write about something I don’t believe in.
- I accept tickets to free shows, festivals, restaurants, events etc with the purpose of reviewing or publicising them on Muddy Stilettos, as I’m sure you appreciate it’s pretty expensive zipping around trying stuff out all the time. Hotels, restaurants, cafes, bars – if you want me to try you out, please get in touch at email@example.com or via Twitter @muddy_kent.
- I’ll never write a nasty review. I’m not into trashing people, brands or companies. But if you’re not good enough, I won’t write about you in Muddy Stilettos, regardless of whether I have paid for the experience or not. This gives me the editorial control I need and the trust that my readers demand.
I hope you love the blog. Please tell your friends about it, and sign up for my splendiferous free posts delivered to your inbox!